•9:39 AM
844. Pick daisies in a meadow in the country.
845. Get hit by a car.
846. Eat a mollusk that the French lovingly try to dress up by calling it "escargo." (great article. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,753365,00.html)

Well, haven't done all of those. Rephrase, I've only done number 845. Yes, yesterday I was hit by a car. That sounds so crazy, but I was riding my bike when I was attacked by an older lady in a car. Clearly, I'm fine, but it was an unusual experience for sure.


I was riding my bike home, minding my own, when up comes another roundabout. Number 3. It's a biggie. There are a ton of cars because it's 5:30 and we had to wait a bit to pull out because of traffic. Finally, I get to go, and as I'm continuing my way counterclockwise around the roundabout, an old lady just doesn't see me and turns right in front of / into me. No lie. I hit the side of the car and then just eat the pavement. The car behind me stopped, because clearly now I'm in the way of traffic and my bike is splayed out in the middle of a busy intersection and my shoe is who knows where, and the nice guy (who was really cute...) asked me ça va? about 4 times and I just kept saying, yes it's fine. ça va. ça va. Crazy!! So now, I have several scrapes that have bruised and swollen, and the whole left side of my bum is swollen the size of a grapefruit and bruised so badly that it's not even showing yet... Am I an accident waiting to happen or what?
Since I've been here, I've consistently had some sort of healing scrape. The first few weeks, it was the numerous little scrapes on my ankles that I got from walking my bike home. Then last week, as I noticed that those were going away, I (in the dark) ran into a metal stake in the garden and slashed my shin open again in a 2 inch long laceration that is still a deep red. And now, I have multiple scrapes that will remain with me for life.

You know, it's really miraculous that I've made it to 21 alive. You would think that I would have found something really dangerous to fall, walk, or trip into, but so far it's minor (knock on wood). Oh France...
|
This entry was posted on 9:39 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

On October 15, 2009 at 9:16 PM , Leigh Smalley said...

KATIE!!! I can't believe you got hit by a car! Sounds more like Auburn than picturesque Europe ;) I'm glad you're okay, though. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, nonetheless. Loving your blog, and loving you!

 
On October 23, 2009 at 3:29 AM , Wilhelm said...

Katie (Liana) - hope you are avoiding little ole ladies in big cars. I think trying escargo would be safer. We re going to send you a care package soon. luv ya Wilhelm

 
On October 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM , Laura said...

Katie, love, please be careful. You don't want to see socialized medicine up close. Really!!! be careful I can't believe what happened with the old lady in the car.
Sounds like you are having a great time and seeing alot of the country. Glad to have this blog to keep up with you. We love you, Auntie Laura

 
On November 3, 2009 at 3:18 AM , Anonymous said...

as I sit here eating chocolate cake with vanilla icecream on top, I feel like weeping for my precious Katie, so far from home and meeting with so many traumas. My prayer for you not to meet that dark handsome man in France will change. I will pray for your safty, whereever you are...Love you much...Granny