•6:01 PM
I thought this was so fun.

I rode the bus yesterday to school and back (abt. 45 minutes each way) and on the way back, this older man sat with me. His wife sat in front of us, and by and by this older man started talking to me (also, he asked if I was English, which I usually say yes to, and if I was Swedish. Really? Swedish?) Anyway, his son is in New York right now and he and his wife got really excited when I was American and when they found out that I lived right near them, took the same stop as a matter of fact. They insisted that I come to their house, but I had class and couldn't, so they wrote down their address and phone number and showed me where the house was. Second street, second house on the right, I think. So cute.

While we're talking about the bus and I mentioned being British, here's a story. I got on the bus last week and talked to the bus driver as I got my ticket out. He asked me "English?" to which I responded yes, because of course, clearly, I speak English. However; he then proceeded to tell me that his wife was from England too. I didn't correct him, but I hadn't used a British accent or anything and I figured he would realize that. He said the town his wife was from, and I asked him to repeat it. He did, and I asked him where it was. He told me, but I said I wasn't familiar with that area. He then asked me where I was from. I just got the Birmingham out, didn't even get to Alabama, when he burst out "You're from Birmingham and you don't know where lkqfjmlqkjf is? That's right in the same region!! How do you not know where that is?!?" Apparently he hadn't noticed my lack of accent and apparently his wife is from the same region as Birmingham, England and now I look like the fool because I didn't know a small village in the same region that I'm presumably from. But I shrugged it off, adopted an accent, and we chatted it up for the 20 minute ride into centre ville.

The French people have a bad rap, but I tell you, everyone I've met has been incredibly friendly. Really, it almost borders on ridiculous that I've had 3 people I have just met give me their numbers in case I needed anything (no guys, in case anyone was wondering...) They're so kind!
Welcome to France!!
|
This entry was posted on 6:01 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On September 23, 2009 at 1:35 AM , Anonymous said...

So glad your making new friends! I'd love to have heard that British accent!!Hey, run it by your family to make sure it's safe, then make a visit to that older couple, I bet they'd love it! Thanks for the updates, (and the phone calls!!)

Love, Mom

 
On September 23, 2009 at 1:37 AM , Anonymous said...

(Make the 'you're' in the first line!! Don't you just hate incorrect grammar?! Adios! (Don't know good bye in French - sorry!) Mom